Friday 28 June 2013

The humble spud


One of my fondest memories of my nana as a kid was when she would order a plate of French fries after she took me swimming at the local gymkhana. Nothing could satiate my appetite like a whole lot of crispy deep fried fries doused in ketchup. I haven’t come across another child who doesn’t enjoy fries or potatoes in some form.
Most of us get our fix of hot chips in the local food court. Unfortunately the food courts in NZ do not do justice to the humble spud. Over salted and greasy is the norm. Hospobaby and I came across Best Fries Forever in a Singapore food court.







This little counter only sold fries, skin on, cooked to order served with chilli or a variety of dipping sauces like nacho cheese or curry mayo.  Zoya and I were in chippie heaven. The same food court boasted a counter called Potato Depot selling jacket potatoes. Jacket potatoes with different fillings, sweet corn, cheesy macaroni, bacon and sour cream, salmon to just name a few.  I remember seeing a similar concept in UK malls about a decade ago. I just wonder when us Kiwi’s, will see the potato in a new light.
Until that happens I have been making my own versions of jacket potatoes at home. We do refried beans or baked beans with sour cream and cheese for hospobaby and grown up versions with truffle oil and Parmesan for us.
Jacket potatoes have become a savior for me when I am running short of time and/ or supplies. Leaving the skin on potatoes preserves all the nutrients in them that would be otherwise lost in cooking and the skin is packed with goodness anyway. The fact that it is a sure hit with Zoya is a blessing.

You can of course bake your spuds in the oven but I am always in a hurry so this is my quick recipe. Make your own variations by adding a variety of fillings like sour cream, cheese, bacon, truffle oil, hummus etc.

1 medium to large washed potato, skin on
1 brown paper bag (I use brown lunch bags for sandwiches from the supermarket)
1 stick of unsalted butter
Salt and pepper to taste

Take a fork and puncture the potato in several places. Put it into the brown paper bag and cook on high in the microware for one and half minutes. Turn it around and cook for another one and half minute. Carefully take out the hot potato from the bag and put it into a bowl. Cut a cross across the top of one side of the potato and push the stick of butter into the potato. Season with salt and pepper. Now add any fillings of your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment