Thursday 12 September 2013

The Great Pandan Hunt

Sometimes when a recipe calls for an unusual ingredient, finding it can be an adventure in itself. I missed Kaya toast, a Singaporean speciality so much that I googled a recipe for it.
Kaya recipe
All of them required Pandan leaves, not something your local New World carries. In fact I had not come across it at any Chinese grocers. Then driving down New North road I saw a shop called Thai food importers its no 849 New North Road. They have a handy carpark at the back and I thought I might go sneak a peak. Needless to say I found Pandan leaves, I also found galangal, pad thai sauce, massaman curry paste, Laksa paste and Panko bread crumbs all at great prices.

I couldn't wait to take my goodie bag home and try the Kaya recipe. There is a reason I do not make custard at home from scratch. I am an impatient cook. The Kaya split! I have a jar of jam that is now lying neglected in the fridge and I am still drooling with the memory of beautiful Kaya toast with a blob of butter we devoured in Singapore. So what is the point of my post you ask?

Well I made a quick Massaman curry yesterday using the single sachet paste I bought at the Thai shop.
I made a version with prawns as they cook quickly and Hospobaby loves prawns. This is of course not very traditional as Massaman curry is usually made with Beef or Lamb.
The curry is a perfect way to introduce spices to the little ones. By spices I do not mean hot chillies. Zoya loved this curry as it was a perfect balance of sweet from the sugar, salty from the fish sauce and sour from the tamarind.




Here is my recipe

1 sachet Massaman curry paste
1 can coconut milk
1 red onion roughly diced
3 teaspoons of fish sauce
4 teaspoons of tamarind paste
2 tablespoons soft brown sugar or palm sugar
potatoes or butternut pumpkin/squash diced into cubes
1/2 cup peas
prawns/lamb/beef/chicken diced
Green chill sliced or chilli oil for adults
Roasted peanuts to garnish

Hot Fluffy rice to serve

Add a tablespoon of oil into a pan and saute the paste for a couple of minutes. Add the red onion and cook. Now add the can of coconut milk (use 2 cans if using meat), fish sauce, sugar and tamarind paste. Add the vegetables and meat if using (do not add the prawns at this stage if you are using prawns in this recipe instead of meat). Bring to a boil and simmer down until sauce thickens and vegetables are cooked. Add the prawns if using and cook for a further 4-5 minutes. Garnish with roasted peanuts and serve on rice. I provided chilli oil for the adults to add heat to the dish.




No comments:

Post a Comment